Build apps that promote safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motor vehicles in Indore.
Bustling thoroughfares are an iconic part of India’s metropolises: cars, rickshaws, buses, scooters, road bicycles, pedestrians, vendors wheeling their carts, and livestock all vying for road space and right of way in a cacophony of colors, sounds, and varying degrees of determination and aggression.
While it may seem a charming sort of chaos, it often has serious, and sometimes fatal, consequences.
In Indore, one of India’s 15 largest cities, road safety issues are of particular concern: In 2015, Indore recorded 5,873 road accidents, ranking it fourth in India behind Mumbai, Delhi, and Chennai. Commuters flout local traffic laws, contributing to a culture of recklessness that persists despite local police efforts to raise road safety awareness.
To help local authorities and residents find new ways to improve road safety in Indore, Ford is calling on software developers to build apps that help pedestrians, bicyclists and motor vehicle drivers share the road safely and equitably.
Join Hack and Roll Indore and create a tech solution that helps the residents of Indore abide by traffic safety rules, respect the rights of their fellow travelers, and enjoy a safe commute every day.
$31,500 in prizes
$15,000 USD Cash
$7,500 USD Cash
$3,500 USD Cash
Best Student Application
$3,000 USD Cash
Best Indore Resident Application
$1,500 USD Cash
$1,000 USD Cash
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
This hackathon is open to:
- Individuals (who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry);
- Teams of eligible individuals;
- Organizations (up to 50 employees). Organizations with over 50 employees may compete for the non-cash Large Organization Recognition Award.
Software applications that have been submitted to a previous Ford-sponsored competition run on Devpost and have won a prize are not eligible for this competition.
Ford employees are not allowed to compete in this competition.
Main Requirement: Build or update a working software application that facilitates safe transit and equitable use of the road by pedestrians, bicyclists, and motor vehicle drivers in Indore.
Submit the following along with your application:
- A demo video (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku). Your video should include a screencast or demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo.
- Please submit at least one image/screenshot of your application.
- A way to access your working web application for judging and testing.
Language: All submission materials must be in English, as well as all written materials. If the video, text description, and testing instructions are not in English, an English translation or subtitles must be provided.
New & Existing Solutions: Solutions may be newly created or pre-existing. If you are submitting an existing solution (developed prior to this competition), your solution must include new features/functionality added after the submission period began, which specifically focus on facilitating road safety in Indore. If you are entering an existing solution, you will be required to explain the new features in the submission form.
How to enter
- Register for the Hack and Roll Indore hackathon.
- Visit the Resources page to learn more about road safety issues in Indore.
- Find a teammate (optional). Do you have the UX chops, but need someone who can code? Are you a genius coder, but need some design flair? Join our hackathon-only Hack and Roll Indore Ryver channel (click here for an automatic invite).
- Build your app!
- Shoot your demo screencast video and take screenshots of your functioning app.
- Provide a way for us to access your solution.
- Make sure your entry adheres to all the requirements and submit on hack-indore.devpost.com before 5pm ET on January 26, 2017.
Shri P. Narahari
District Collector, Indore
Mr. Sandeep Soni
Joint Collector Indore, CEO Atal Indore City Transport Services Ltd (AICTSL)
Ford Smart Mobility Director,
Prof. Ashish Sadh
Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Indore
Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Zoomcar
Quality of Idea
Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer.
Includes the extent to which the solution may help improve safety and equitable road usage for bicyclists, pedestrians, and motor vehicle operators and passengers in Indore.
- Social Good